Chào mừng!

ĐĂNG KÝ THÀNH VIÊN MỚI TẢI ĐƯỢC TÀI LIỆU! Đăng ký ngay!

KHÁCH VÀ THÀNH VIÊN CÓ THỂ TẢI MIỄN PHÍ HƯỚNG DẪN ĐĂNG KÝ THÀNH VIÊN VÀ TẢI » THƯ MỤC MIỄN PHÍYOPOVN
ĐĂNG KÝ NÂNG CẤP THÀNH VIÊN VIP ĐĂNG KÝ NÂNG CẤP THÀNH VIÊN VIP » ĐĂNG KÝ NGAYĐĂNG KÝ NÂNG CẤP THÀNH VIÊN VIP
BÀI TẬP - PHIẾU BÀI TẬP, CÁC TỔNG HỢP BÀI TẬP

Yopovn

Ban quản trị Team YOPO
Thành viên BQT
Tham gia
28/1/21
Bài viết
Điểm
tác giả
BỘ Bài tập tiếng anh lớp 11 LƯU HOÀNG TRÍ CÓ KEY, CÓ ĐÁP ÁN được soạn dưới dạng file word gồm CÁC FILE trang. Các bạn xem và tải bài tập tiếng anh lớp 11 lưu hoằng trí về ở dưới.
UNIT 1. A long and healthy life - KEY

1A. Pronunciation

• Strong and weak forms of auxiliary verbs

Underline the weak form and double underline the strong form of the auxiliary verbs in the following short exchanges. Then practise them with your partner.

1. A:
Do you often work out in the morning?

B: Yes, I do.

2. A: Can you swim in the butterfly style?

B: No, I can’t.

3. A: Have you ever practised karate?

B: Yes, I have.

4. A: Aren’t you an aerobic instructor?

B: Yes, I am.

5. A: Didn’t you have time for the swimming practice yesterday?

B: No, I didn’t. I was busy yesterday.

6. A: Has she joined a gym?

B: Yes, she has.

7. A: Can doing squats bum a lot of calories?

B: Yes, it can.

8. A: Shall we go now?

B: I think we ought to.

9. A: Must we go now?

B: I think we must.

10. A: Does lifting weights build our muscles?

B: Certainly, it does.

1B. Vocabulary

• Words and phrases related to health and fitness

I. Complete the sentences with the words given.

muscles diet treatment develop active repetitive

life expectancy avoid cut down lifestyle strength fit

1. The instructions give a balanced ____diet______ , and protect against infections.

2. You must be very ____fit______ if you do so much running.

3. Regular exercise will help to strengthen your _____muscles_____ .

4. We focus on the importance of ___active___ participation by elderly people in the life of the community.

5. ____Life expectancy______ for both men and women has improved greatly in the past 20 years.

6. Some of the tasks required considerable physical ____strength______ .

7. There have been great advances in the _____treatment_____ of cancer.

8. You can change your eating habits and lead a healthier ____lifestyle______ .

9. Computers are now being brought into this career to perform ____repetitive______ tasks.

10. The doctor told him to _____cut down_____ on his drinking.

11. Some alcoholics _____develop_____ liver cancer when they drink heavily.

12. Pregnant women should ___avoid_______ certain foods such as raw eggs.

II. Complete the sentences with the verbs given in the correct form.

fall include ensure treat give up

lead help give off work out stay

1. I go jogging every morning and _____work out_____ with weights twice a week.

2. Peter has decided to ____give up______ football at the end of this season.

3. My father always ____leads______ a very active life.

4. How do you make this change and ____ensure______ a balanced diet?

5. A healthy lifestyle ____includes______ taking exercise and not smoking.

6. The fire doesn’t seem to ______give off ____ much heat.

7. One in seven road accidents is caused by drivers _____falling_____ asleep at the wheel.

8. Eat right to _____stay_____ healthy.

9. It was difficult to _____treat_____ patients because of a shortage of medicine.

10. Herbal products can _____help_____ you to relax and sleep well.

III. Fill in each blank in the following sentences with the correct word / phrase below.

immune system life expectancy ageing workout

longevity boosting meditation nutritious

1. _____Meditation_____ takes many forms, but its core is the ability to control the mind and quieten it down.

2. Learning is the most fundamental brain ___workout____ - and the more you do it, the more you’ll benefit.

3. Research for more recent periods shows a surprising and continuing improvement in ____life expectancy______ among those aged 80 or above.

4. Many individuals through the ages realised there was a very important link between health, exercise, fitness, meditation, intelligence and ____longevity______ .

5. A research suggests that tai chi may also slow down ___ageing___ by boosting a certain type of stem cell.

6. Bird’s nest soup brings overall benefit to the ___immune system___ and it gives you glowing skin.

7. Widespread gardening provides an opportunity for exercise, sunlight and ___nutritious____ food for people in Okinawa, Japan.

8. The first step in ___boosting___ Nagano’s life span was a campaign to reduce salt consumption and promote a healthier diet and lifestyle.

IV. Complete the following famous sayings with the words below.

cheerfulness nutrition basis fitness cures

healthy cleanliness illness disease value

Best Sayings About Health & Nutrition

1. “Early to bed and early to rise makes a man __healthy_____, wealthy and wise”, Benjamin Franklin.

2. “Physical ___fitness____ is not only one of the most important keys to a healthy body, but it is also the basis of dynamic and creative intellectual activity”, John F. Kennedy.

3. “Those who think they have no time for exercise will sooner or later have to find time for ____illness_____,” Edward Stanley.

4. “Health is like money, we never have a true idea of its ___value____ until we lose it,” Josh Billings.

5. “The doctor of the future will no longer treat the human frame with drugs, but rather will cure and prevent disease with __nutrition____ ,” Thomas Edison.

6. “A good laugh and a long sleep are the best ___cures____ in the doctor’s book,” an Irish proverb.

7. “To ensure good health: eat lightly, breathe deeply, live moderately, cultivate __cheerfulness____ , and maintain an interest in life,” William Londen.

8. “Today, more than 95% of all chronic ___disease____ is caused by food choice, toxic food ingredients, nutritional deficiencies and lack of physical exercise,” Mike Adams.

9. “Water, air and ___cleanliness___ are the chief articles in my pharmacopoeia,” Napoleon I.

10. “By cleansing your body on a regular ____basis____ and eliminating as many toxins as possible from your environment, your body can begin to heal itself, prevent disease, and become stronger and more resilient than you ever dreamed possible!” Dr. Edward.

• Vocabulary for CLIL: Bacteria and viruses

V. Complete the sentences with the words given.

disease organisms illness infected vaccine

antibiotics bacteria spread food poisoning infectious

1. I’m taking ___antibiotics _______ for a throat infection.

2. Clean the wound so it doesn’t get ____infected______ .

3. Foot and mouth disease is caused by a highly ___infectious_______ virus which animals either eat or inhale.

4. All living ____organisms ______ have to adapt to changes in environmental conditions.

5. There is no ____vaccine______ against HIV infection.

6. ____Food poisoning____ is an illness of the stomach caused by eating food that contains harmful bacteria.

7. She suffers from a rare ____disease____ of the brain.

8. Doctors say that his ____illness______ isn’t life-threatening.

9. Some _____bacteria _____ help the human body fight disease.

10. Some unhygienic conditions encourage the ____spread______ of disease.

• Prepositions

VI. Complete each sentence with the correct preposition.

They are looking ____for______ ways to add further value _____to_____ their products.

2. He is receiving treatment _____for_____ cancer.

3. I don’t have any sugar so you’ll have to do _____without_____ .

4. You can help prevent heart disease ____by______ changing your lifestyle.

5. His back injury may prevent him _____from_____ playing in tomorrow’s game.

6. The wood gave _____off_____ a sweet, perfumed smell as it burned.

7. Cut down _____on_____ fatty foods if you want to lose weight.

8. He has changed a lot ____over______ the past decade.

9. Diseases that were once thought incurable can be treated _____with_____ antibiotics.

10. She suffers _____from_____ a rare bone disease.

1C. Grammar

• Past simple vs Present perfect

I. Choose the correct words.

David has been / was at the beach for hours. I think he’s having a great time there.

2. Have your friends bought / Did your friends buy tickets for the concert yesterday?

3. My younger sister has started / started school six months ago.

4. So far this week we’ve seen / we saw two funny films on TV.

5. I’ve talked / I talked to my grandparents on the phone last week.

6. What’s the noise? Have your neighbours bought / Did your neighbours buy a new dog recently?

7. Have you seen / Did you see Nick this week?

8. We’ve known / We knew Ann and Tom for three years. We’re really good friends now.

II. Choose the correct answers.

My school football team hasn’t won / didn’t win a match since the start of the year.

2. I haven’t been / didn’t go to China. What’s it like?

3. It has rained / rained three times this week.

4. I have seen / saw my first Disney film when I was four years old.

5. I feel at home in this village because we have lived / lived here for six years now.

6. I’m a big football fan, but I have never been / never went to the stadium.

7. It hasn’t rained / didn’t rain for a long time, so it’s very hot.

8. I have sent / sent an email to Jack last week, but he hasn’t replied.

III. Complete the sentences. Use the past simple in one sentence and the present perfect in the other.

1. a
Italy _____won_____ the World Cup in 2006. (win)

b He’s happy because Manchester United ____has won ______ all their matches this year. (win)

2. a ‘Can you tidy your room?’ - ‘I ____tidied____ it this morning.’ (tidy)

b ‘Can you tidy your room?’ - ‘I ___have tidied____ it.’ (tidy)

3. a What time ____did ______ you ____arrive______ home last night? (arrive)

b ‘ ____Has ______ Ben ____arrived ______ ?’ - ‘Yes, he’s in the living room.’ (arrive)

4. a Come on, let’s eat. Dad ____has cooked______ dinner. (cook)

b Who ____cooked______ this food? It’s delicious. (cook)

5. a I ____have met______ lots of interesting people since I arrived. (meet)

b _____Did _____ you _____meet _____ anyone interesting while you were on holiday? (meet)

IV. Complete the text using the present perfect or the past simple form of the verb in brackets.

I 1 ___met ____ (meet) Andy on a diving course when I was seventeen. We 2 ___have been ____ (be) together since then and in the last six years we 3 ___have visited ____ (visit) some awesome places on our holidays. Last month, we 4 ____decided______ (decide) to get married. The wedding 5 ___was ____ (be) great, but exhausting because we were underwater and I 6 ___had ____ (have) a big wedding dress on. Since we got married, we 7___haven’t had ___ (not have) time to think or relax. These last few weeks 8 ___have gone____ (go) very fast. Time flies when you’re in love.

V. Complete the dialogue using the present perfect or past simple form of the verbs in
brackets, or an auxiliary verb.

Nick: 1 _____Have _____
you ever ___visited _______ (visit) Disneyland Paris?

Ann: Yes, I 2 ____have ______ . It’s fantastic.

Nick: When 3 ___did _______ you ____go ______ (go) there?

Ann: I 4 ____went______ (go) with my mum last weekend.

Nick: Really?

Ann: Yes, we 5 ____travelled ______ (travel) there by train on Friday evening and we 6 ___left ____ (leave) on Sunday morning. But my dad 7 ____didn’t come ______ (not come) with us.

Nick: 8 _____Has _____ he ____been______ (be) there before?

Ann: No, he 9 ____hasn’t ______ . He hates places like that. He 10 ___hasn’t visited ___ (not visit) a theme park since 1995 when he 11 ___was ___ (be) fourteen years old.

Nick: And what 12 ____did ______ you ____think______ (think) of the rides?

Ann: I really 13 ____liked ______ (like) them all - especially the Big Thunder Mountain ride. It’s terrifying. 14____Have ______ you ever __seen ________ (see) a photo of it?

Nick: No, I 15_____haven’t _____ . But I 16____have heard___ (hear) a lot about it. It sounds great.

VI. Complete the text about young adventurers with the correct form of the verbs in brackets.

Young Adventurers

Most people 1____have never visited ______ (never visit) the North Pole, but Parker Wilson has. Last year, Parker 2____skied ______ (ski) 130 km across the Arctic in freezing temperatures. In the same year, he also 3___started _______ (start) a Facebook page about climate change. It’s amazing because Parker is only sixteen years old and still 4_____hasn’t finished_____ (not finish) school - he’s a very young adventurer.

5____Have ______ you ____ever been ______ (ever be) to the South Pole? Maybe not, but in 2009, Katie Walter 6____walked ______ (walk) there and back in twenty days. She was only seventeen years old and she 7____made ______ (make) a lot of money for charity.

Parker and Katie 8____have achieved______ (achieve) great things, but they are both still teenagers. 9____Have ____ they _____done _____ (do) too much, too young? Some people think so. Some psychologists say that it’s dangerous for teens to take these risks because their brains 10____haven’t developed ____ (not develop) enough. Katie and Parker probably disagree. What do you think?

VII. Complete the text about a veteran’s story with the present perfect or past simple form of the verbs below. Add already, just, or yet if necessary.

become give have not be not go not produce

raise sail study travel work write

A Veteran’s Story

Anthony Smith is an old-age pensioner from London. He 1 ____has had __ a life full of adventure. When he was young, he 2 ____studied ______ biology at university. After that, he 3 ___became ___ a pilot and also 4___worked_______ as a science correspondent for a newspaper. He 5 __has written ____ more than thirty books, but he 6__hasn’t produced ____ any films. In January 2012, he 7 ____sailed ___ from the Canary Islands to the Bahamas in the Caribbean. He wanted to prove that old people can still have adventures. He 8 ___wasn’t___ alone. Three other old adventurers joined him. He 9 ___has raised ___ a lot of money for a charity that provides clean water for people in Africa, Asia and Central America. He 10__has travelled ____ through seventy countries, but he 11 ____hasn’t been ___ to the South Pole. He 12 __has given ___ an interview for our newspaper. You can read it in the next issue.

VIII. Complete the dialogues with the verbs given. Use the past simple or present perfect form.

go stay visit

Phong: 1 ____Have ______ you ____gone ______ to the USA?

Linda: Yes, I2 _____visited _____ San Francisco last year.

Phong: Where3 ____did ______ you ____stay ______ ?

Linda: At my uncle’s house.

be give open receive say write

Phong: 4 ____Have ______ you ____received ______ a present that you don’t like?

Linda: Yes, my aunt 5 ____gave______ me a yellow sweatshirt for my birthday.

Phong: What 6 ____did ______ you ____say ______ to her?

Linda: Nothing. She 7 __was__ there when I 8 __opened __ it. But I 9 __wrote __ her a nice thank-you letter.

1D. Reading

• How to live a long and healthy life

I. Read the statements. Decide if they are true (T), false (F) or not given (NG).

A Healthy Lifestyle

Some habits might help people live longer. Researchers think that the key is eating well and being active.

Having a healthy diet is important. It’s important to eat a good amount of fruits and vegetables. Not all foods are good for you, though. Having too many fruits can still be bad for you. You should also avoid junk foods and sweets. A treat once in a while isn’t bad, but don’t let them become a regular part of your diet.

Being active is also important. Sometimes it can be hard to find an activity you like. You don’t have to play a sport like rugby. You can walk or run. You can ride a bike or hike. You can do yoga or dance. It doesn’t matter what activity you do. But it is important to do something. With these small changes, you will live a longer, healthier life!

1. The passage is about rugby. ___F_____

2. Eating fruits and vegetables is an important part of a healthy diet. ____T____

3. The passage says you should not have junk foods and sweets. ___T_____

4. Being active is important for living a long life. ____T____

5. Sports are the best way to stay physically active. ___NG_____

6. Doing yoga or playing rugby can help ensure a healthy lifestyle. ___T_____

II. Fill in each blank with the correct question for each answer.

A Guide to Tai Chi

A. Can I learn tai chi from a book or DVD?

B. Will I injure myself doing tai chi?

C. What is tai chi?

D. Don’t I need to be fit to do tai chi?

E. What are the health benefits of tai chi?

F. Are there different styles of tai chi?

G. Can tai chi help to prevent falls?

H. What’s the basic technique?

1. _________C. What is tai chi?____________

It combines deep breathing and relaxation with slow and gentle movements. Originally developed as a martial art in the 13th century in China, it is today practised around the world as a health-promoting exercise.

2. _______F. Are there different styles of tai chi?_____________

Yes, such as yang, chen and wu. Some teachers often practise a combination of styles. The main differences between the different tai chi styles are in the speed of movement and the way the body holds the postures.

3. __________H. What’s the basic technique?_____________

Tai chi is characterised by its slow, graceful, continuous movements that are gentle on the joints and muscles. Done correctly, you’ll find that the tai chi poses flow smoothly from one into another.

4. _________E. What are the health benefits of tai chi?_______________

Studies have shown that tai chi can help people aged 65 and over to reduce stress, improve balance and general mobility, and increase muscle strength in the legs.

5. ____________B. Will I injure myself doing tai chi?______________

Tai chi is essentially a gentle activity that is unlikely to cause injury if done correctly. The exercises involve lots of flowing, easy movements that don’t stress the joints or muscles.

6. ___________G. Can tai chi help to prevent falls?________________

Some research suggests that tai chi can reduce the risk of falls among older adults who are at increased risk. However, more research is needed.

7. _________D. Don’t I need to be fit to do tai chi?_____________

No, tai chi is for everyone. It is ideal for inactive older people wanting to raise their activity levels gently and gradually.

8. __________A. Can I learn tai chi from a book or DVD?______________

It’s a good idea to learn the basics of tai chi from an instructor to make sure your style is correct, effective and won’t cause injury. You can consider using a book or DVD once you’re familiar with the poses.

III. Read the passage, and then decide whether the statements are true (T) or false (F).

No Pain, Big Gains

In China, it is believed that tai chi can delay ageing and prolong life, increase flexibility, strengthen muscles and tendons, and aid in the treatment of heart disease, high blood pressure, arthritis, skin diseases, depression, cancer, and many other diseases.

Most of the research on tai chi has been done in older individuals in the area of balance and fall prevention. This area of research is important because fall-related injuries are the leading cause of death from injury and disability among older adults. Because tai chi movements are slow and deliberate with shifts of body weight from one leg to the other in coordination with upper body movements, it challenges balance and many have long assumed it helps improve balance and reduce fall frequency.

In a similar tai chi study of older adults, 54% of the subjects who practised tai chi attributed their improved sense of confidence to improved balance. One study looked at adults in their 60s and 70s who practised tai chi three times a week for 12 weeks (60-minute classes). After just six weeks, statistically significant improvements were observed in balance, muscular strength, endurance, and flexibility measures. Improvements in each of these areas increased further after another 12 weeks.

The demands of living are stressful for adults of all ages. Although one cannot directly point to studies showing a reduction in stress from practising tai chi, the breathing, movement, and mental concentration required of individuals who practise tai chi may be just the distraction you need from your hectic lifestyle.

It is believed by many in the world that tai chi has many benefits in treatments of many illnesses and diseases. __F___

2. Injuries from falls are a big problem among elderly people. __T___

3. With its slow movements and its shifts of body weight between the legs, tai chi can improve balance and reduce fall frequency. __T___

4. All the people who practise tai chi gain their sense of confidence in life. __F___

5. Improvements were observed clearly in balance, muscular strength, endurance, and flexibility measures after twelve weeks. __T___

6. Exercising tai chi can help people, especially adults recover from stress from the hectic lifestyle. __F___

III. Read the text, and then do the tasks that follow.

A Healthy Lifestyle

Having a healthy lifestyle is not just about eating healthily and exercising. It often refers to having a balance between work and life.

To start with, make sure you get plenty of sleep. Some research suggests that teenagers need more sleep than adults, however, it’s often the case that they get less than they need. With homework and social obligations, you can be staying up late but still have to get up early to get to classes, work or other activities. To function properly, your body and mind need a minimum of eight hours of sleep each night.

Eating a well-balanced diet can sound much easier than it is. A lot of people are really conscious about what they eat, and try and make healthy choices. If you think you have too much junk food and want to make some changes to your diet, don’t try and eliminate all junk food. You should drink plenty of water, eat a balance of protein, whole grains, fruit and vegetables daily, and don’t skip breakfast - eat something for breakfast every day.

Exercising regularly is part of having a healthy lifestyle. Physical activity helps build a strong body and mind. Doing physical activity releases endorphins, which are a chemical your body produces, which gives you a good feeling. Physical activity is also an effective way to manage moods and is a really good lifestyle choice to improve your overall well-being.

Having friends and family that you can confide in is really important. To be a healthy person, you need to have people around you that you can talk to about what’s happening to you, rather than dealing with them alone.

Another important part of having a healthy lifestyle is remembering to "play". Just taking time to laugh, have fun and being around people who make you feel good is part of having balance in your life.

Take time to learn about what makes you feel good and remember to include some of those things in your day.

Task 1. Answer the following questions.

What is the problem of sleep that teenagers often meet?

______The problem is that they get less sleep than they need_______

2. What kind of food and drink should teenagers have?

____They should drink plenty of water, eat a balance of protein, whole grains, fruit and vegetables daily___

3. Why does doing physical activity give us a good feeling?

____Because it releases endorphins, which are a chemical our body produces, which gives us a good feeling__

4. What are other benefits of physical activity?

_____It is also an effective way to manage moods and is a really good lifestyle choice to improve your overall well-being________

5. What can you share with your friends?

____We can talk to about what's happening for us, rather than dealing with them alone_______

6. What is the function of having fun and being around people in our lifestyle?

_____It is a part of having balance in our life_____

Task 2. Find the words or expressions in the text which have the following meanings.

a situation in which different things are of equal importance _____balance _____

2. the food that you eat or drink regularly _____diet _____

3. food that is unhealthy but is quick or easy to eat ____junk food ____

4. not to do or not have something _____skip _____

5. the state of feeling healthy and happy ____well-being ____

6. to share your feelings or secrets with someone ___confide in______

IV. Read the text, and choose the correct answer A, B, C or D for each question.

Discover How Laughter Can Work for You!

You’ve probably heard the expression “Laughter is the best medicine”. Scientists and medical doctors now agree that laughter can help people to deal with stress and anger. Research has shown that people who feel happy and relaxed are healthier and have better relationships.

Laughter Yoga is a series of exercises. Laughter Yoga teaches you to laugh for no reason. You don’t have to have a sense of humour, or understand funny jokes. You just have to laugh.

When you do Laughter Yoga in a group, you laugh and do yoga breathing, so that you increase the amount of oxygen in your body. Soon the laughter exercises turn into real laughter. After a laughter yoga class, you feel calm and relaxed, but also full of energy and happy.

Laughter Yoga was developed by Dr. Kataria, a doctor from India. Laughter Yoga classes started in Mumbai in 1995 with just five people, and now there are over 6,000 laughter clubs in sixty different countries.

Julie Whitehead was one of the first people in the UK to become a Laughter Yoga teacher with Dr. Kataria. She says, “Yoga has been a part of my life for thirty years, but in 2002 my life changed when I discovered Laughter Yoga. I am particularly interested in health and well-being.”

She is a member of Laughter Network, a group of professionals who want to bring more laughter, health, and happiness into people’s lives. They run Laughter Yoga classes and workshops in the UK, and Julie runs Laughter Yoga holidays in Turkey, Egypt, Spain, and Morocco.

Laughing is good for the body and the mind. When we laugh, we breathe more oxygen into our body, which helps to keep us healthy. Endorphins, or happy chemicals, are released in the body, and you feel more relaxed and happy. Laughter also brings people together to share some fun. Companies who have run Laughter Yoga workshops find that they have advantages for both employers and employees. People who are happy at work are more hard-working and make more money for the company. Also, people who laugh together communicate more successfully. In general, people do better at work when they feel happy and relaxed.

If you’re not sure about Laughter Yoga, remember this, children laugh 300 - 400 times a day, but adults only laugh around fifteen times a day.

Get more laughter in your life - you can feel the change in you, and when you change, the world changes. Laughter is really the best medicine. You can get more information about Laughter Yoga on its website at laughter_yoga@india.com.

Laughing is good for our body EXCEPT that ______.

A. we feel more relaxed and happy B. we breathe in more oxygen

C. it improves communication D. it helps release happy chemicals

2. It is good to laugh and do yoga breathing exercises at the same time because ______.

A. you laugh very funnily a lot during the laughter yoga classes

B. you join a group and meet professionals all around the world

C. Laughter Yoga teaches you to have a sense of humour and understand funny jokes

D. you not only feel calm and relaxed, but also have full of energy and happiness

3. Laughter Yoga _______.

A. started in India with a small group of people

B. was developed by a doctor as a treatment

C. started in sixty countries with over 6,000 laughter clubs

D. was developed by first students of Dr. Kataria

4. All of the following are true about Julie Whitehead EXCEPT that ______.

A. she became one of the first British Laughter Yoga teachers with Dr. Kataria

B. she is a member of Laughter Network which run Laughter Yoga classes and workshops in the UK

C. she has practised Laughter Yoga for thirty years in her life

D. she herself runs Laughter Yoga vacations in some foreign countries

5. The advantage for a company when their employees do Laughter Yoga is that ______.

A. the employees earn more money from the company

B. the employees are more hard-working and productive

C. all people can laugh together funnily

D. Laughter Yoga workshops only have advantages for employers

6. The saying “Laughter is the best medicine” maybe means that ______.

A. you should have a sense of humour in order to laugh

B. trying to laugh is a good treatment to patients

C. it is good for your physical and mental health to laugh

D. laughter is the medicine of best quality that doctors have

7. The expression “professionals” in paragraph 6 is closest in meaning to ______.

A. people who follow a hobby with great enthusiasm

B. people who follow a career in order to earn good pay

C. people who have high positions in their companies

D. people who are well trained and extremely skilled

8. The text is written for ______.

A. adults B. elderly people C. children D. Laughter Yoga teachers

9. You would find this description of Laughter Yoga classes ______.

A. in a newspaper B. in a brochure C. on a website D. in a journal

10. The main purpose of the text is ______.

A. to compare Laughter Yoga with ordinary yoga

B. to introduce Laughter Yoga and its benefits

C. to tell the history of Laughter Yoga

D. to give information about Laughter Yoga classes

VI. Read the text, and do the following tasks.

In the past, many people died from bacterial diseases because there was no cure for them. Then antibiotics were discovered. These powerful medicines kill the bacteria that cause specific diseases. As a result, people live longer now than half a century ago. However, today, we’re facing a new health risk - bacteria which is resistant to antibiotics. This is because bacteria grow quickly and adapt in order to survive antibiotics.

When you have a check-up at the doctor’s, do you think you should always get a prescription for antibiotics? A lot of people do. However, we mustn’t use antibiotics when it isn’t necessary. If you’ve got a cold or flu, you shouldn’t use antibiotics because these illnesses are caused by viruses. Antibiotics can’t kill viruses. To get over these illnesses, you should rest, take a painkiller and drink a lot of water. You should also stay at home to avoid infecting others.

When antibiotics is appropriate, you must always make sure you take the complete course. If not, there might be some bacteria left in your body and it can develop resistance. If we use antibiotics correctly and less often, it will help to stop the spread of antibiotic-resistant bacteria and give scientists time to invent new types of antibiotics. If we don’t change our habits, it will become harder to treat diseases and life expectancy might fall.

Task 1. Choose the best main idea of the text.

A.
Be sensible with antibiotics B. Never take antibiotics again

C. Antibiotics - the universal treatment D. Antibiotics always make us better

Task 2. Match the words in the text and their meanings.

cure __D___ A. the piece of paper that a doctor gives you to get medicine

2. diseases __E___ B. feel better after being ill

3. prescription __A___ C. a series of doses of medicine

4. get over (an illness) __B___ D. a treatment that makes you completely better

5. course (of antibiotics) __C___ E. types of illnesses with certain symptoms

Task 3. Choose the correct answers to complete the summary of the text.

Our lives are longer nowadays thanks to 1 __________ , but if we aren’t careful, it’ll become 2 __________ to kill bacteria. The text advises people to 3 __________ when they’re ill with a cold. Antibiotics 4 __________ the viruses that cause a cold. If the doctor gives you antibiotics, you have to 5 __________ . The misuse of antibiotics is going to 6 __________ for us in the future.

1. A. diseases B. antibiotics C. bacteria

2. A. easier B. more dangerous C. more difficult

3. A. take antibiotics B. go to their doctor C. stay at home

4. A. don’t affect B. produce C. infect

5. A. stop taking them when you’re better

S B. take all of them

C. take them when you want

6. A. cause problems B. create new antibiotics C. be easier

VII. Read the problem page letter to Jane and her letter in response to the problem, and do the following tasks.

Ask Jane

Dear Jane,

I’m 17 years old and my life is causing me a lot of stress. I have to do homework, exam revision, extra science classes and football practice - and then I have to help my parents around the house! Being a teenager can’t always be this tough! Adults say that you must enjoy your schooldays because they’re the happiest days of your life, but these can’t be the happiest days of my life. This isn’t happiness - I’m really suffering. What should I do to cut down on the stress?

Mike wallingford

Dear Mike,

Being a teenager is stressful. Although adults romanticise their childhood, they must have given up things they wanted to do, too. Here are four effective ways to relieve stress. Follow them, and you’ll be able to sort out your stress issues and live a busy, but happy life.

1 You must exercise at least three times a week. You can do sports or work out - or even walk the dog. Exercise relaxes your body and your brain, and relaxation helps to prevent stress and depression and also relieves insomnia - serious sleeplessness.

2 Take your mind off the stress by discovering new interests like judo, sudoku or even gentle sports like fishing.

3 Remember - ‘you are what you eat’. Burgers, chips and sugar food may be enjoyable, but this diet makes your body scream, ‘No! Stop!’ You should listen to your body, go without junk food, and feel the stress melt away as a healthy diet cures you.

4 Networking sites, emails, Twitter and texts might be useful, but you mustn’t give up face- to-face communication with people. Laughing with your mates will make a big difference and is probably the most effective form of stress prevention.

Task 1. Match the headings A-E with the suggestions 1-4 in the letter.

A ___2_____
Take up something new

B ___4_____ Don’t put off seeing friends

C ___1_____ Be active

D ___3_____ Sort out your eating habits

Task 2. Match the words 1-8 with their definitions a-h.

stress ___c____ 3. melt ___g___ 5. diet ___h____ 7. romanticize __a___

2. tough ___d____ 4. brain ___f___ 6. junk food ___b___ 8. mates ___e__

a make something seem more exciting or interesting than it really is / was

b things you eat which are bad for you

c pressure and worry

d difficult

e close friends

f organ inside the head

g become liquid

h all the food that you regularly eat

Task 3. Answer the questions.

Why is Mike’s life stressful?

______He has done lots of school work and household chores______________

2. How do parents remember their early years?

______They remember that school days are the happiest days in their life______________

3. Why is exercise important?

________Exercise is important because exercise relaxes your body and your brain__________

4. Why might a new interest reduce stress?

________Because a new interest might take your mind off the stress_________

5. What shouldn’t Mike eat?

________You shouldn’t eat junk food_____________________

6. What’s the problem with texting and emailing friends?

______The problem is that you might give up face-to-face communication with people__________

VIII. Read the webpage, and answer the questions.

WebDoctor

Topic: stressed about studies

Here at WebDoctor, we get a lot of messages from high-school students asking for advice about stress. Many of you have told us that you find it difficult to study because you feel anxious and tired. You aren’t alone. Everyone finds studying stressful from time to time, even doctors. If we had tests this year, we’d be nervous, too. Luckily, there are many things you can do to help with this problem.

‘I’m feeling stressed. What should I do?’

A.
This is my most important tip: look after yourself. Stress can cause headaches and other problems. Please don’t ignore any symptoms like these. You should go to the doctor, and ask for advice.

B. The average teenager should sleep for eight to ten hours a night. Do you? Perhaps if you rested more, you’d have more energy. Studies show that students who sleep well actually get better grades. To fall asleep more quickly, you should go to bed before midnight, and you shouldn’t use your cell phone or read in bed.

C. You should make a schedule to manage your time. Take a break of ten minutes every hour, and make time for fun, too. You shouldn’t work all day. Your goal should be ‘study well’, not ‘study lots’.

D. You shouldn’t spend time sitting still. Get up and walk around to avoid backache, and exercise for at least 30 minutes, four times a week. Exercise helps your brain to stay fit, too! Try walking to school, or going for a walk during your lunch break.

E. You already know you should eat healthily. But an occasional treat can be good for you. Dark chocolate contains chemicals which can improve mood and concentration. But you shouldn’t have too much chocolate. You wouldn’t feel happier if you ate a whole familysized bar. You’d just have a stomachache.

F. What will you do if you don’t have tests? Don’t forget what makes you happy. Family, friends, and hobbies are important, too. Do one thing you love every day, and try to relax.

I’m sure you’re a great student. Believe in yourself. And good luck.

Why do many high-school students write to WebDoctor?

_______They want advice about stress_____________

2. What is the most important piece of advice the WebDoctor gives students?

_______It is that students should look after themselves_________

3. Why is sleep important for students?

_______Sleep is important for students because it gives them enough energy_______________

4. What should a student do after studying for an hour?

________A student should take a break of ten minutes every hour_________

5. How much should students exercise?

_______They should exercise for at least 30 minutes every day, and four times a week__________

6. How can eating dark chocolate help you?

_______It can improve mood and concentration_____________

7. What should students do once every day?

_______They should do one thing they love every day, and try to relax_________

IX. Read the article, and do the tasks that follow.

Go Out, Get Fit, Be Happy!

Sick, tired, stressed? Maybe you should go out. Spending time in the countryside, or green areas like parks, has many health benefits.

A _____2_________

Even small amounts of exercise can build muscles and help your heart - the most important muscle of all. Research suggests that doing no exercise can shorten your life by three to five years. It can be as bad for you as obesity or smoking.

One 2011 study found that people who exercised outdoors move faster and felt less tired than those who exercised indoors - perhaps because they enjoyed it more. What can you do outdoors in your area? For instance, if you were lucky enough to live in a good area, you’d be able to skate, cycle, climb or simply walk in the park.

B ______6________

Our body makes vitamin D when the sun shines on our skin. Studies suggest that we need vitamin D for strong bones. It can also help us to get better more quickly when we get a bruise or sprain a muscle. However, too much sun can cause skin cancer, so you shouldn’t stay outside for more than a few minutes without sun protection, and you should try to avoid getting a sunburn.

C _______3__________

Some people think we should stay indoors in winter to avoid getting colds and other illnesses. That isn’t true. We don’t get colds because we feel cold. We get colds from tiny viruses. These often spread more quickly in winter because we spend more time close to other people indoors. Perhaps if you’d spent more time outdoors last winter, you’d have felt healthier.

D ________4_________

When you breathe in fresh air, more oxygen enters your lungs. This travels around your body in your blood until it reaches your brain. When your brain has extra oxygen, it makes a chemical called serotonin. This is sometimes called the ‘feel-good chemical’, because it makes us feel good. Going outdoors may also help you to relax. In one South Korean study, researchers studied people’s brains while they were looking at different pictures. They found that looking at pictures of cities produced more stress and worry, while trees or mountains inspired positive emotions and happy memories.

E _______1__________

Did you spend a lot of time studying indoors before your last exams? Perhaps you should have gone out more. One study by the University of Michigan found that people’s memory and concentration improved by 20 percent after they’d spent just an hour outdoors. Could going out help you get better grades? Why not test the idea yourself!

Task 1. Match the headings 1-6 to the paragraphs A-E. There is one heading you do not need.

Better concentration ____E____

2. Exercise ____A____

3. Fewer colds? ____C____

4. Happiness ____D____

5. Recommended sports ________

6. Vitamin D ____B____

Task 2. Complete the summary with one word from the article in each gap.

You should spend time outdoors because ....

exercising outdoors is more effective than exercising ____indoors ______ .

2. the ____sunlight ______ on your skin creates healthy vitamin D.

3. you may get fewer illnesses like ____colds ______ .

4. extra serotonin can help you to feel _____good _____ .

5. looking at nature can inspire positive emotions and happy _____memories _____ .

6. it can improve your memory and concentration by ____20 ______ percent.

Task 3. Correct the sentences with true information from the article.

Doing no exercise isn’t as bad for you as smoking.

______Doing no exercise can be as bad for you as smoking______________

2. You can stay outside for an hour without sun protection.

______You can stay outside for a few minutes without sun protection___________

3. When we feel cold, we are likely to get colds.

_______When we get tiny viruses, we are likely to get colds______________

4. More oxygen leaves your body when you breathe in fresh air.

_______More oxygen enters your body when you breathe in fresh air______________

5. South Korean researchers found that pictures of cities produced feelings of relaxation in the brain.

____South Korean researchers found that pictures of trees or mountains produced feelings of relaxation in the brain_____

6. People’s concentration improved after they’d spent a whole day outdoors.

_____People’s concentration improved after they’d spent an hour outdoors____________

X. Read the text, and answer the questions.

Health Myth, or Health Fact?

A ‘Going outside with wet hair will give you a cold.’

If you went outside with wet hair on a cold day, you probably wouldn’t feel great. However, it wouldn’t give you a cold. We get cold from viruses, which we catch from other people. Still, it’s generally a good idea to try to stay warm in winter. You should wear warm clothes, including a hat.

B ‘Eating carrots will help you to see better at night.’

Carrots contain vitamin A, which can help eyes to stay healthy. So, the myth is partly true. But if you ate carrots daily, you still wouldn’t be able to see in the dark. In the Second World War, the British government said that British pilots could see at night because they ate so many carrots. This wasn’t true. In reality, the pilots used special radar technology to ‘see’, but Britain didn’t want other countries to know this.

C ‘You should feed a cold and starve a temperature.’

Whether you have a cold or a temperature, you should still eat healthily. You shouldn’t stop eating, because you need the energy to get better. Sometimes when we’re sick, we don’t feel very hungry. At these times you should try to eat something tasty and ‘easy’ like chicken soup, fruit, or even ice cream.

D ‘You shouldn’t sit too close to a TV because it’s dangerous.’

In 1967, a company accidentally sold some dangerously radioactive TVs. All the TVs were sent back and no one was hurt, but the story made people worried. Today’s TVs are safe. If you sat near a TV for many hours, you’d probably get tired eyes, or a headache, but you wouldn’t damage your eyes permanently.

E ‘Drinking warm milk will help you to sleep.’

Warm drinks can help us to feel sleepy. Many people in the US enjoy drinking warm milk or hot chocolate before bed, perhaps because it reminds them of childhood. However, if you don’t like milky drinks, that’s OK. If you drank herbal tea or hot water with lemon and honey, it would also help you to relax.

1. According to the text, what should we do in winter?

_______We should wear warm clothes, including a hat__________

2. How are carrots good for us?

______Carrots contain vitamin A, which can help the eyes to stay healthy__________

3. How did British World War Two pilots really see so well in the dark?

_______The pilots used special radar technology to ‘see’ in the dark__________

4. Why should you eat when you have a temperature?

_______You should eat when you have a temperature because you need the energy to get better_______

5. Why shouldn’t we sit too close to a modern TV?

________You’d probably get tired eyes, or a headache___________

6. Who likes drinking hot chocolate before bed and why?

_____Many people in the US enjoy drinking hot chocolate before bed, because it reminds them of childhood________

XI. Read the text, and do the tasks that follow.

One Hundred and Counting

Do you know anyone who has had a birthday card from a king or queen? In the UK, on your 100th and 105th birthday and every birthday after that, a birthday card is sent to you from the Queen at Buckingham Palace, which is the British monarch’s official residence in London. The reigning monarch has sent messages of congratulations like this since 1917.

At that time, living over the age of 100 was a really amazing achievement. There were only about 100 centenarians in the whole country. Today, however, there are more than 10,000 and we’ve visited a few of them to discover the secret of their long life.

Jean, who’s 103 and lives in an old people’s home, said that she had taken up singing when she was a teenager and she had sung every day since then. She used to sing in a choir and although she can’t carry on with that, she sings with her friend Ada, who’s 101, every day. They both said that they found it absolutely brilliant for relaxing.

Arthur has just become a centenarian and he thought having a treat every day did him good. He said he’d always loved chocolate and he’d eaten a very big bar every day for the last 70 years. He said he was sure there was something in the chocolate that made him healthy.

Whatever the key to long life is, life expectancy will definitely increase in the future. In fact, according to recent statistics, a quarter of all babies born in the UK this year will live to be more than 100. Celebrating your 100th birthday will be a really ordinary thing for future generations.

Task 1. Choose the best final sentence.

A.
At least, there will be fewer people for the monarch to send cards to.

B. Perhaps the monarch will have to stop sending cards?

C. The monarch probably won’t live a long life though.

Task 2. Choose the correct answers.

When you’re 100 or more years old in Britain, you get ______ from the monarch at the time.

A. an invitation to Buckingham Palace

B. a card on every birthday

C. a card on certain birthdays

2. This tradition started_________.

A. hundreds of years ago B. early in the last century C. at the end of the last century

3. There are ______ times more centenarians today than in 1917.

A. 10 B. 100 C. 1,000

4. Jean started singing as a hobby ______.

A. in her teens B. in the old people’s home C. when she was 101

5. Arthur is ______ years of age.

A. 70 B. 100 C. 101

6. In the future, people will ______.

A. expect more from their lives B. have more babies C. live much longer

XII. Read the text, and do the tasks that follow.

Is Chocolate the Answer?

Have you ever wondered what makes people happy? Why are some people on cloud nine while others are always down in the dumps? What’s the secret? Is it lots of money, good health, loving relationships, owning the latest gadgets or simply chocolate?

A

The latest World Happiness Report says that prosperity is not the main reason for happiness. If you suffer real hardship, you are unlikely to be happy, but once your basic needs are met, money and material things become less of a necessity. Happiness depends more on recognizing the things you have and appreciating them, rather than getting more things. Yes, money can buy you the latest smartphone, tablet or fashion item, and you might get a kick out of the ownership of these material objects, but this enjoyment is usually short-lived. Remember all those presents you got for Christmas when you opened them, but not for long. A month later, they were lying abandoned at the bottom of a drawer. And have you forgotten those delicious chocolates that made you feel really happy when you were eating them, but ill after you’d finished them all?

B

It seems that deep, long-lasting happiness comes from intangible things rather than things like chocolates and smartphones. One essential factor is human relationships. People who have the support of family members and also have strong relationships are more likely to be happy. Feeling protected and respected and knowing you can trust in the people around you are vital. But happiness means you have to give and take. Performing acts of kindness and generosity on a regular basis, for example, listening to a friend in need or carrying a neighbour’s shopping, will make you feel on the top of the world. Even a simple smile can work wonders. In fact, they say that one smile makes a person feel as good as eating 2,000 bars of chocolate (not at all once, of course).

C

It’s not surprising that health is another key contributor to happiness. Poor health will certainly make you feel down in the mouth. But being healthy and staying healthy requires some effort. A healthy diet is crucial and so is regular exercise. Laziness will not make you happy. Exercising for twenty to thirty minutes a day helps to reduce stress and anxiety and makes you feel more positive and optimistic because it releases endorphins (feel-good chemicals). So, if you’ve been feeling blue and worrying too much about your exams, get exercising. You’ll also find that you sleep better.

D

Talking of sleep, do you often wake up feeling miserable? If so, it’s probably because you haven’t had enough of it. Teenagers tend to go to bed too late and have to get up early, so many suffer from a lack of sleep. Tiredness will certainly affect your happiness levels and put you in a bad mood. It also affects your ability to concentrate and may slow your growth. So, if you want to be happy and do well at school, try to get at least eight hours a night.

Now you know the theory, it’s time to put it into practice. Smile, everyone!

Task 1. Match headings 1-6 with paragraphs A-D. There are two headings that you do not need.

Recharge your body and mood ____D_____

2. Short-lived happiness ____A_____

3. A natural remedy _____C____

4. Can having more and more make you happy? _________

5. Help and to be helped ____B_____

6. Do well at school and be happy _________

Task 2. Choose the best summary of the text.

a.
An opinion about what society should do to make people happy.

b. An article about what makes people happy.

c. A study showing why people find it impossible to be happy.

Task 3. Answer the questions.

According to the text, what are the three basic needs which are essential for happiness?

____They are: human relationships, good health and a good sleep_________

2. What kind of happiness do material objects provide?

_____They provide short-lived happiness______________________

3. What does the sentence ‘Happiness means you have to give and take’ refer to? Give some examples.

____It refers to kindness and generosity; listening to a friend in need or carrying a neighbour’s shopping______

4. What effect does exercise have on a person’s mood?

_______It makes you feel more positive and optimistic_________________

5. According to the text, what happens if you do not get enough sleep? Is this true in your experience?

____You feel tired, and tiredness will certainly affect your happiness levels and put you in a bad mood_________

6. What do you agree with in the text? Is there anything you don’t agree with?

_______(Your own answer) __________________

XIII. Read the article and do the tasks that follow.

The Amazing Health Benefits of Snowboarding

Snowboarding is an exciting outdoor activity and is becoming very popular among teenagers. Here, we find out how it can help you to become more healthy and enjoy life more.

Taking chances is a great way to help you to have confidence in yourself - even if you don’t get it right the first time. That’s why snowboarding is a fantastic way to learn and develop a new interest. I met Kathy Fontaine, 15, on Mont Blanc, where she explained why snowboarding is a great benefit for teens.

1____B______ At only nine years old, she was already snowboarding with her dad in Scotland, and she continues to love it to this day. ‘Being in the mountains for hours every day made me feel so healthy and alive,’ she says. It helped her to understand how her body works because she learned techniques to help her to ride the snowboard properly. 2_____E_____ ‘Snowboarding taught me to believe in myself, even when I was worried about hurting myself.’ Did she get hurt? ‘Yes, once or twice, nothing serious,’ she says. ‘3_____F_____ It made me want to succeed even more and get to the bottom of the mountain!’

In what other ways can snowboarding make you healthy and enjoy life more? ‘It keeps you very fit, very positive, but it also helps you to make new friends,’ Kathy says. 4 _____C_____ ‘You have support from people who understand what you’re doing and are there to help you improve.’ And she thinks the feel-good part of snowboarding can also help teenagers keep out of trouble. ‘Some people I know from school laugh at me when I tell them how great I feel after snowboarding. 5 ____G______ ‘ So, what is Kathy’s advice? ‘Get a snowboard, get healthy - and enjoy life!’

Task 1. Read the article quickly and choose the best alternative title.

How to Stay Healthy in Your Teens

2. Snowboarding Has Great Benefits for Teens

3. Snowboarding Helps Teens Stay out of Trouble

Task 2. Five sentences have been removed from the article. Choose from sentences A-H the one which fills each gap (1-5). There are three extra sentences which you do not need to use.

A.
She knew she was going to be good at snowboarding.

B. Kathy started snowboarding at a young age.

C. She believes that doing an extreme sport also introduces you to a new and positive community.

D. But it didn’t make me stop.

E. She already understood how to ride a snowboard.

F. It also made her feel that she could do something very well.

G. They think that hanging out on the street and doing stupid things is fun - I don’t see how!

H. She feels teenagers think it is too dangerous to try snowboarding.

1. B
2. E
3. F
4. C
5. G

Task 3. Match the words in bold in the text to their meanings.

1. ___
get hurt ____ feel pain because of an accident

2. ____succeed ______ achieve something you want to do

3. ___techniques _______ ways of doing something well

4. ____advice ______ something someone tells you to help you

5. ____benefit______ an advantage from doing something

Task 4. Complete the sentences with the words in bold from the text.

My ___advice _______ to you is - start snowboarding now!

2. You have to work very hard to ____succeed ______ .

3. I never fall off my bike and _____get hurt _____ .

4. The _____benefit _____ of doing a new sport is that you learn new skills.

5. I surf every day and have learned the best _____techniques _____ .

XIV. Read the instructions, and then mark your score for each question. Calculate your life expectancy.

How Long Could You Live?

What is your life expectancy? A lot depends on luck - whether you have an accident and who your grandparents are. But you can also control some things in your lifestyle. So how long could you live? This questionnaire is based on life insurance tests.

Write what you must add or subtract in each blank. To calculate your life expectancy, start with an average age of 72 years. Then add or subtract the numbers.

Score (+/-)

1. Are you male or female? _______

2. How old are you? _______

3. Do you live in an urban area with a population of more than 2 million people? _______

4. Do you live in a rural area with less than 10 thousand people? _______

5. Do you live alone? _______

6. Do you live with your family? _______

7. Do you or will you have a university degree? _______

8. Do you or will you have high professional qualifications? _______

9. Do you or will you have a job in an office? _______

10. How often do you jog, swim, play a sport or take similar exercise? _______

11. Do you often sleep more than 10 hours a day? _______

12. Are you happy? _______

13. Are you generally relaxed or do you lose your temper easily? _______

14. How many cigarettes (if any) do you smoke a day? _______

15. How much alcohol (if any) do you drink a day? _______

16. Are you overweight? If so, how much? _______

17. How old are your grandparents, or how old were they when they died? _______

18. Does anyone in your family suffer from heart disease? _______

Total life expectancy: __________________

If you’re a boy, subtract 3 years and if you are a girl, add 4 years.

2 If you’re between 15 to 39 years old, add 2 years.

3/4 Towns and cities are unhealthy places. If you live in a large town or city, take off 2 years, but if you live in a village or in the country, add 2 years.

5/6 Take off three years if you live on your own, but you can add 5 years if you live with your family members or relatives.

7/8 Education is good for you. Add 1 year for a university degree and another 2 years for high professional qualifications.

9 If you sit down most of the day, subtract 3 years.

10 Add 2 years if you exercise for at least 20-30 minutes 3 times a week.

11 If you spend more than 10 hours a day asleep, take off 4 years.

12 If you’re happy, add a year. If you’re unhappy, subtract 2 years.

13 If you’re relaxed, add three years. Subtract three years if you’re hot-tempered.

14 Don’t smoke if you want a long life. Subtract 3 years for up to 10 cigarettes a day, 4 years for 10 to 20. If you’re a non-smoker, but you live with a smoker, take off 1 year.

15 Three glasses of wine or beer a day are OK for men, 2 are OK for women. If you drink more than this, take off a year.

16 Overweight? If you’re up to 15 kilos too heavy, subtract 2 years, 16-25 kilos take off 4 years.

17 Long life runs in families. Add 2 years for each grandparent over 80 years old now or when they died.

18 Take off three years if anyone in your close family (grandparents, parents, brothers, sisters) has or had heart disease. Take off another year if anyone in your family died under the age of 50.

1E. Speaking

• Everyday English

I. Choose the correct response. Then practise the short exchanges in pairs.

1. A: Why should we brush our teeth at least twice a day?
2. A: What’s wrong with toothpicks?

3. A: Can you see any benefits of regular exercise?

4. A: What kind of food should I have more?

5. A: How can I stay optimistic and happy?

6. A: Each food item has a nutrition label!

7. A: How can we refresh our mind?

8. A: I can’t see any benefits of healthy lifestyle to our health.
9. A: Can we use natural remedy?

10. A: Should I drink a glass of hot milk before bedtime?
B: a/ To remove dental diseases.
b/ To prevent plaque on your teeth.
B: a/ They remove particles from your teeth.
b/ They can damage your teeth at the base.
B: a/ It helps to reduce cholesterol level.
b/ You just have a 30-minute walk a day.
B: a/ More fruit and vegetables, less sugar, salt.
b/ More all the nutrients you can get.
B: a/ Be careful about your heart and brain.
b/ Control your anger and do yoga.
B: a/ It tells you what’s inside the food.
b/ It’s only for the advertisers.
B: a/ It becomes worse because of ageing.
b/ You should rest and read a book.
B: a/ It’s good for our immune system.
b/ Anything is good for our immune system.
B: a/ It’s a good choice for minor illnesses.
b/ You can use them to boost your beauty.
B: a/ You can do it or drink a cup of coffee.
b/ Many people do so, but we’re not sure.

• Giving instructions for an exercise routine IL Complete the instructions with the words below.

finally point slowly stand stretch look touch

1. First, ____stand ______ up straight and ____stretch ______ your arms above your head.

2. ____Point ______ to the ceiling.

3. Look up, _____Look_____ down.

4. Next ____slowly ______ turn your head from side to side.

5. Now _____touch _____ your toes.

6. _____Finally_____ , sit down on the floor.

III. Complete the text about stretching before swimming with the correct verbs.

look down look up point sit down stand up stretch touch

Before I go swimming, I always 1____stretch ______ . This is my simple stretching programme:

2_____Look up _____ and then 3____look down ______ slowly, to relax my neck.

4 ____Sit down______ and then 5 _____stand up_____ slowly, to stretch my legs and back.

6_____Touch _____ my ankles - left hand to right ankle, then right hand to left ankle.

7______Point ____ my fingers and my toes straight, then get in the swimming pool.

IV. Look at the pictures and complete the dialogue, using the prompts below. You have to make some changes to supply the correct forms.

Push-up (the photo on the left)

- Get on the floors on all fours, positioning your hands slightly wider than your shoulders

- Extend your legs back, and you are balanced on your hands and toes. Inhale as you slowly bend your elbows and lower yourself to the floor

- Exhale while pushing up through the hands, returning to the start position

Pull-up (the photo on the right)

- Start by standing directly below a pull-up bar, place your hands in an overhand grip

- Lift your feet up from the floor so that you’re hanging from the bar

- Bend your elbow and raise the upper body up toward the bar until your chin is over the bar

- At the top of the movement, extend your elbow and lower your body back down to the starting position

Mai: Hi, Lan. Are you reading a sports magazine?

Lan: Hi, Mai. Right. I’m looking at the pictures showing the ways to do some sorts of exercise. I think they’re useful.

Mai: Let me have a look. In the picture on the left, the woman first 1______gets on the floors on all fours, positioning her hands slightly wider than her shoulders______. Then, she 2______extends her legs back, and she is balanced on her hands and toes__________.

Lan: After that, she 3_______exhales while pushing up through the hands, returning to the start position_______.

Mai: Certainly. Look at the picture on the right. How can the man start?

Lan: I think he starts by 4_______standing directly below a pull-up bar, placing his hands in an overhand grip____.

Mai: Then, he 5_________lifts his feet up from the floor so that he’s hanging from the bar_______; next, he 6______bends his elbows and raises the upper body up toward the bar until his chin is over the bar______.

Lan: I think at the top of the movement, he 7______extends his elbows and lowers his body back down to the starting position _______.

Mai: Do you think these are suitable forms of exercise for us?

• Offering help and responding

V. Choose the correct responses.

“Do you want me to help you with those suitcases?” “__________”

A. Of course, not for me. B. No, I can’t help you now.

C. No, those are mine. D. No, I can manage them myself.

2. “Let me drive you home.” “__________”

A. No problem. B. Don’t worry. I’m all right.

C. I usually drive home at five. D. It’s me.

3. “Would you mind sending those flowers to Mr. Brown?” “__________”

A. Sure, I’ll do it now. B. I would if I were you.

C. He wouldn’t mind. D. No, I can handle it myself.

4. “Do you need any help?” “__________”

A. No, thanks. I’m too weak to lift this box.

B. No, thanks. I’m strong enough to lift this box.

C. Yes, thanks. I’m too strong to lift this box.

D. Yes, thanks. I’m weak enough to lift this box.

5. “Would you like me to get you a taxi?” “__________”

A. Well. Let’s see. B. Yes, please, if it does not bother.

C. Yes, I see. D. That would be delightful. Thanks.

6. “Do you want me to turn up the heater?” “__________”

A. It’s my pleasure. B. No, go right ahead.

C. No, it’s quite warm here. D. Thanks. I’ll be right back.

7. “Let me give you a lift home.” “__________”

A. Don’t mention it. B. I like lifts.

C. If you don’t mind. D. You’re very welcome.

8. “Can I carry these suitcases into the room for you?” - “__________”

A. You can’t, I think! B. No, you can’t.

C. Yes, you can. D. Can you? That’s very kind.

9. “Shall I wait for you?” - “__________”

A. Why ask such a question? B. No need to ask.

C. No, don’t bother. D. No, of course.

10. “Would you like me to send this package for you?” - “__________”

A. That would be nice. Any problems? B. Yes, please, if you don’t mind.

C. I’m sorry, but here you are. D. No, thanks. I’m really busy.

1F. Writing

• A short message

I. Put the sentences in a message in the correct order.

Dear Phong,

__4___ a. Please let us know if we might bring something.

__3___ b. We are thrilled to be included in such a happy event and plan to meet you in the school auditorium on the evening of October 10th at seven o’clock.

__2___ c. We are looking forward to the celebration.

__1___ d. Thank you for the kind invitation to the end-of-term party.

Nick

II. Write a short message, using the words given.

Dear Mai,

1. Thank / very much / invitation

________Thank you very much for the invitation____________________

2. However /I / not / able / attend

_______However, I will not be able to attend_________________________

3. Unfortunately /I / another event / scheduled / same day

______Unfortunately, I have another event scheduled for the same day______________

4. I wish /I / attend / but /I / not

_______I wish I could attend, but I cannot______________________

5. I / hope / see / soon

________I hope to see you soon___________________________

Linda

1706447925593.png

THẦY CÔ TẢI NHÉ!

DOWNLOAD FILE

• YOPO.VN--BÀI TẬP GLOBAL LỚP 11 LƯU HOẰNG TRÍ - KEY.zip
    864.1 KB · Lượt xem: 1
Nếu bạn cảm thấy nội dung chủ đề bổ ích , Hãy LIKE hoặc bình luận để chủ đề được sôi nổi hơn
  • Từ khóa
    bộ đề thi học sinh giỏi tiếng anh 11 bộ đề thi tiếng anh 11 bộ đề thi tiếng anh lớp 11 học kì 2 các đề thi tiếng anh học kì 1 lớp 11 sách tham khảo tiếng anh 11 thí điểm tài liệu anh văn 11 tài liệu bồi dưỡng học sinh giỏi tiếng anh 11 tài liệu bồi dưỡng tiếng anh 11 tài liệu bồi dưỡng tiếng anh 11 hoàng thị lệ tài liệu bồi dưỡng tiếng anh 11 pdf tài liệu chuyên tiếng anh 11 tài liệu cô cẩm nhung tài liệu cô cẩm nhung lớp 11 tài liệu cô cẩm nhung unit 1 lớp 12 tài liệu cô cẩm nhung unit 10 lớp 11 tài liệu cô cẩm nhung unit 11 lớp 11 tài liệu dạy tiếng anh lớp 11 tài liệu học tập lớp 11 tài liệu học tiếng anh file pdf tài liệu học tiếng anh lớp 11 tài liệu nghe tiếng anh lớp 11 tài liệu ôn tập tiếng anh 11 tài liệu ôn tập tiếng anh 11 học kì 2 tài liệu ôn thi học sinh giỏi tiếng anh 11 tài liệu ôn thi hsg tiếng anh 11 tài liệu ôn thi tiếng anh hk2 lớp 11 tài liệu phụ đạo tiếng anh 11 tài liệu tham khảo tiếng anh 11 thí điểm tài liệu tiếng anh 11 tài liệu tiếng anh 11 cô cẩm nhung tài liệu tiếng anh 11 học kì 2 tài liệu tiếng anh 11 mới tài liệu tiếng anh 11 pdf tài liệu tiếng anh 11 sách mới tài liệu tiếng anh 11 thí điểm tài liệu tiếng anh cô cẩm nhung tài liệu tiếng anh lớp 11 tài liệu tiếng anh lớp 11 thí điểm tài liệu tiếng anh pdf tài liệu tự chọn tiếng anh 11 tiếng anh 11 sách mới pdf tiếng anh 11 thí điểm pdf tuyển chọn đề thi olympic tiếng anh lớp 11 pdf đề cương ôn thi tiếng anh 11 học kỳ 1 đề kiểm tra 15 phút tiếng anh 11 thí điểm đề kiểm tra giữa kì 1 lớp 11 môn anh đề kiểm tra tiếng anh 11 giữa học kì 1 đề kiểm tra tiếng anh 11 thí điểm unit 6 đề thi anh lớp 11 giữa học kì 1 đề thi anh văn lớp 11 học kì 1 đề thi cuối kì 1 môn tiếng anh 11 đề thi giữa học kì 1 lớp 11 môn anh đề thi giữa học kì 1 môn tiếng anh 11 đề thi giữa kì 1 anh 11 có đáp án đề thi giữa kì 1 lớp 11 môn tiếng anh đề thi giữa kì 1 tiếng anh 11 có đáp án đề thi giữa kì 1 tiếng anh 11 violet đề thi giữa kì 2 môn tiếng anh 11 đề thi giữa kì 2 tiếng anh 11 violet đề thi giữa kì môn tiếng anh 11 đề thi giữa kì tiếng anh 11 có đáp án đề thi giữa kì tiếng anh 11 thí điểm đề thi hk1 tiếng anh 11 mới đề thi hk2 môn tiếng anh 11 đề thi hk2 tiếng anh 11 có đáp án đề thi hóa học bằng tiếng anh lớp 11 đề thi học kì 1 tiếng anh 11 thí điểm đề thi học kì 1 tiếng anh 11 violet đề thi học kì 2 tiếng anh 11 violet đề thi học kì tiếng anh 11 học kì 1 đề thi học sinh giỏi tiếng anh 11 đề thi học sinh giỏi tiếng anh 11 cấp tỉnh đề thi học sinh giỏi tiếng anh 11 cấp trường đề thi học sinh giỏi tiếng anh 11 violet đề thi hsg tiếng anh 11 cấp tỉnh đề thi hsg tiếng anh 11 cấp trường đề thi hsg tiếng anh 11 có file nghe đề thi hsg tiếng anh 11 có file nghe violet đề thi hsg tiếng anh 11 có đáp án đề thi hsg tiếng anh 11 đà nẵng đề thi hsg tiếng anh lớp 11 violet đề thi khảo sát tiếng anh 11 đề thi khảo sát tiếng anh lớp 11 đề thi khảo sát tiếng anh lớp 11 violet đề thi môn tiếng anh lớp 11 học kì 1 đề thi môn tiếng anh lớp 11 học kì 2 đề thi nghe tiếng anh 11 đề thi nghe tiếng anh lớp 11 học kì 1 đề thi nói tiếng anh lớp 11 học kì 1 đề thi olympic tiếng anh 11 đề thi olympic tiếng anh 11 tphcm đề thi olympic tiếng anh 11 tphcm 2021 đề thi olympic tiếng anh 11 violet đề thi olympic tiếng anh lớp 11 tphcm đề thi thử tiếng anh 11 học kì 1 đề thi tiếng anh 11 đề thi tiếng anh 11 có đáp án đề thi tiếng anh 11 cuối học kì 1 đề thi tiếng anh 11 cuối học kì 2 đề thi tiếng anh 11 cuối kì 1 đề thi tiếng anh 11 giữa học kì 1 đề thi tiếng anh 11 giữa học kì 1 có đáp án đề thi tiếng anh 11 giữa học kì 1 trắc nghiệm đề thi tiếng anh 11 giữa học kì 2 đề thi tiếng anh 11 giữa kì 1 đề thi tiếng anh 11 giữa kì 2 đề thi tiếng anh 11 hk1 đề thi tiếng anh 11 hk2 đề thi tiếng anh 11 học kì 1 đề thi tiếng anh 11 học kì 1 có đáp án đề thi tiếng anh 11 học kì 1 nam định đề thi tiếng anh 11 học kì 1 trắc nghiệm đề thi tiếng anh 11 học kì 2 đề thi tiếng anh 11 học kì 2 năm 2020 đề thi tiếng anh 11 học kì 2 trắc nghiệm đề thi tiếng anh 11 kì 1 đề thi tiếng anh 11 kì 2 đề thi tiếng anh 11 thí điểm đề thi tiếng anh 11 thí điểm học kì 1 đề thi tiếng anh 11 unit 1 2 3 đề thi tiếng anh cuối học kì 1 lớp 11 đề thi tiếng anh giữa học kì 1 lớp 11 đề thi tiếng anh học kì 1 lớp 11 2019 đề thi tiếng anh học kì 1 lớp 11 2020 đề thi tiếng anh học kì 1 lớp 11 violet đề thi tiếng anh học kì 2 lớp 11 violet đề thi tiếng anh lớp 11 đề thi tiếng anh lớp 11 chương trình mới đề thi tiếng anh lớp 11 cơ bản đề thi tiếng anh lớp 11 có file nghe đề thi tiếng anh lớp 11 có đáp án đề thi tiếng anh lớp 11 cuối học kì 1 đề thi tiếng anh lớp 11 giữa học kì 1 đề thi tiếng anh lớp 11 hk1 đề thi tiếng anh lớp 11 hk2 đề thi tiếng anh lớp 11 học kì 1 đề thi tiếng anh lớp 11 học kì 1 2019 đề thi tiếng anh lớp 11 học kì 1 violet đề thi tiếng anh lớp 11 sách mới đề thi toán bằng tiếng anh lớp 11 đề thi trắc nghiệm tiếng anh 11 đề thi vật lý bằng tiếng anh lớp 11
  • HỖ TRỢ ĐĂNG KÝ VIP

Liên hệ ZALO để được tư vấn, hỗ trợ: ĐĂNG KÝ TÀI KHOẢN VIP
    ZALO:0979702422

BÀI VIẾT MỚI

Thống kê

Chủ đề
    Bài viết
    Thành viên
    Thành viên mới nhất
    nam210708

Thành viên Online